Requisition Number 8196BR
Budget Business Unit International Markets
Job Description (please add additional skills, if necessary) Location(s): Lagos, Nigeria
Reports to: Head of Market Development, Sub-Sahara Africa (based in Johannesburg)
Dual reporting line to Head of Non-Traditional Business Development (based in Dubai)
Support the development and execution of strategies which are geared towards significantly expanding the business across Sub-Sahara Africa in the non-traditional areas of Mobile commerce and P2P Remittances, developing and helping grow the pipeline.
The jobholder has a dual reporting line to the Head of Market Development, Sub-Sahara Africa (based in Johannesburg) and to the to Head of Non-Traditional Business Development (based
The job-holder must be capable of operating with high levels of empowerment and accountability. Also, the jobholder requires to operate at a strategic and operational level.
Being the Sub-Sahara Expert Sales Lead for Mobile and Remittances will be challenging and require the jobholder to operate as a deep technical specialist across multiple and varies varied markets, e.g. mature markets such as South Africa and more nascent markets across Sub-Sahara Africa.
The jobholder has no direct reports but will require to work collaboratively with internal partners to ensure appropriate coordination, alignment and delivery, e.g. partners in Customer Delivery and other parts of Market Development, Country Managers across Sub-Sahara Africa, etc.
- Build a sales pipeline across Sub-Sahara Africa in the area of mobile commerce and facilitating the use of mobile phones as payment acceptance devices.
- Establish and leverage relationships in the Telco space to drive payment innovation.
- Implementing an approved strategy for P2P remittances – domestic and cross-border based on prepaid wallet solutions, “cash-in”, “cash-out” as well as payment pricing and functionality. Also, selling MasterCard remittance solutions to FIs, Exchange Houses and Telcos in identified markets.
- Identifying and developing processors and other players in the ecosystem with specific focus on developing the necessary support infrastructure needed to accelerate business growth and identification of new revenue streams through the successful development, rollout, and expansion of our capabilities in the division, as related to mobile and remittances.
- Understanding customer needs, marketplace dynamics, industry trends, and the competitive landscape in the industry/function and considering the external impact of business activities and decisions on the external environment.
- Leading projects/initiatives; able to quickly grasp new ideas; able to simplify strategy into specific actions with clear accountability, making decisions with speed and accuracy based on best available information, and communicating priorities clearly and concisely.
- Adapting to new information, feedback, different or unexpected circumstances, and/or to work in ambiguous situations; able to deal calmly and effectively with high-stress situations, including continuing to persevere and remaining calm in challenging circumstances.
- Partnering with key constituents both internally (Sales and acceptance teams, business leads, Division Presidents, Country Managers and functional group heads), as well as external resources (customers and merchants, regulators, third party service providers) to ensure seamless execution of the strategy.
Key Skills & Experience
- Deep knowledge and understanding of Mobile and Remittance products/services, with significant experience in sales and business development within the traditional and non-traditional space.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and 10+ years of progressive business experience, with a strong track record in the payments industry and deep knowledge of consumer payments.
- High preference for action - results driven and with a disciplined approach to deliver sales targets.
- Strong sales skills – ability to identify and capture opportunities for increasing MasterCard revenue and profitability, while maintaining customer focus. Disciplined approach to sales pipeline development, management, tracking and reporting.
- Strong account management experience - ability to understand customer and constituent needs, marketplace dynamics, industry trends and the competitive landscape.
- Strong relationship management skills - experience of managing multiple stakeholders in a multicultural environment, matrixed environment, across multiple geographic locations. Strong negotiating and influencing skills, with the ability to execute through others who do not report directly.
- Strong analytical skills - ability to identify issues before they develop into problems and to proactively resolve issues directly or through escalation to appropriate partners/stakeholders.
- Strong team working skills - ability to work collaboratively and both independently and in a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal and negotiation skills - extensive experience in communicating in international environment at senior management level.
- Extensive travel required, including flexibility to travel at short notice.
- Work Location (*Note - To add additional locations, press and hold CTRL and select the locations) South Africa - Sandton